Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lesson Plans

When I decided to become a teacher, I would always hear from others how annoying lesson plans are. Throughout college, many of my friends went to become teachers and I would always hear them dread over it. "I have to do lesson plans all weekend", "Don't ever become a teacher", "I hate doing lesson plans". Those were some of the things that were said. What can possibly be so bad about them? I think there's some importance that goes along with lesson planning. But I also think there's alot that is a waste.

I think lesson plans are great for structure and organization for a teacher. It gives them something to go by and it's a great practice tool before the school day begins. Although it's great for organization, you really can't plan how long something can take. Every class is a different group of students and we sometimes get caught up in a discussion that may take up more or less time than originally expected. Therefore we sometimes don't get everything in that we have planned for the day and alot goes to waste.

3 comments:

  1. I too am a bit nervous about having time to create lesson plans throughout the year, however, some of friends that are teachers have assured me that the first year of teaching is HELL, but the years thereafter aren't so bad, because you can rely or even refer back to your previous year's lesson plans when necessary. Plus, I also think that once you get the "hang" of it, you automatically become more proficient at it and so even if you change your plans from year to year, you probably can do it much quicker after a year or two of doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about creating lesson plans, it a little fear of mine when I begin teaching but thankfully it seems through your friends that it does get easier after the first year and you get the hang of it. That is definitely uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing the long, drawn out, formal lesson plans for class assignments and observations are a pain to do, and a waste of time. But the short practical lesson plans that get turned in to the principal each week really aren't so bad. I think that once you get the hang of it and have been teaching for a while, it must get pretty easy and quick to do. I like that having to write lesson plans forces me to sit and plan my week out a little bit. Of course it never goes exactly as planned, but it's nice to be organized and know what's next. I think lesson plan writing must go from big scary project to minor chore after a little experience!

    ReplyDelete