Thursday, February 12, 2009

WebQuests

I have just finished viewing the four videos on WebQuests and it seems alot harder than I thought it would be. Although the videos helped by showing the structure and layout on how to create one, it looks like there's more to it than just that. I haven't started my own yet or even have an idea on what I want to create for a class. I do believe that once I choose a topic then the rest will follow. But then again, what do I want my students to get out of it? Are the tasks and processes going to be something so challenging that my students will dislike and dread doing or will it be something that they enjoy and look forward to do again and get the most out of it. That's the part that will be most challenging for me and I hope I can speak for the rest of us. Either way, I am looking forward towards creating my very first WebQuest and possibly using it in the near future and for years to come. Hopefully it will come out in a way that will be interesting for and motivate students to do a great job in completing it. Good luck to all on their WebQuests!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your feedback, Adam.

    I can help if you would like... What topic will you be teaching --maybe next term-- that leads to a group project? That could be a GREAT idea for a WebQuest.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about it. I haven't created my own yet either, and I'm struggling to come up with a project idea that the students won't hate me for. I think it's important to choose something that will reinforce a relevant lesson, and that will produce results that the student's will value. I dont' want to feel like I've wasted my time on it, and I want the students to gain knowledge and experience that will make their hard work worthwhile. I'm interested to know what you decided to do! I'll check it out once we all get our assignments sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like a WebQuest isnt something I would use that often in my classroom. But responding to your post I think that WebQuests would be something that students enjoy. No matter the age students enjoy using the computer, its a better alternative to sitting in a desk and completing a task. I find that the biggest problem is using webquest is finding the time to do just that, use them. Luckily there are many sites that you can use to find already made webquests so you don't have to always make your own. But the time to use them, to teach your children to navigate through them and in most schools, try to get time in the computer lab causes a problem. I think that middle school and high school students are best equipped to complete webquests because of their already existing knowledge with technology and the resources those bigger schools have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam I know exactly how you feel! I am also grateful that the deadline for the quest has been extended. Why don't you just think of a fun assignment to give your students and go from there. That is what I did, and so far is working. The problems I am having now is with questgarden editing tools, but like Dr. Luongo says don't stress out over this.I don't know what grade you teach which I believe makes a big difference.Try to imagine yourself teaching seniors at a very fancy expensive school in which everyone has a laptop to do this assignment. Once you conquer this barrier then you can try again and do one for your students and subject considering your resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The videos definitely help. QuestGarden's structure is also very helpful. Going step by step helps so that you don't get too overwhelmed trying to think of everything at all times. Structure is ALWAYS good. :)

    It may be hard because we are all just thinking about the limitations that we may have at our schools. Be realistic, but allow yourself to do something that you'll enjoy creating. That will come across on to your WebQuest and students may then enjoy doing it more. Does this make sense? Hope it helps. :)
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way after watching the videos. There is a lot more to the webquest then I thought there was going to be. After figuring out what I wanted to do mine on, things moved along smoothly.

    ReplyDelete